The complete college manual is updated for 2012-2013 and is attached below. Smaller sections are included in the various subsections of this Web site.
ALUMNI: Please fill out the survey here: https://docs.google.com/a/summitprep.net/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDFXa241NDV5d09NeE5QRjFDdEZyNWc6MA#gid=0
SLIDES FROM APRIL 10th COLLEGE NIGHT ARE POSTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
College News for the week of May 7th:
12th grade Milestones for this week:
Acceptances are rolling in! A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE SENIORS WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED TO COLLEGE!!!! We have over 95% accepted to 4 year schools!
1. Senioritis. Please do whatever you can to get your child to school on time, and make sure they are here every day. We would like our seniors to finish strong, and most importantly, to graduate on time! Many colleges will almost definitely rescind offers of admissions if students' GPAs drop. Please try to minimize college visit time!
2. AP Testing. Students need to be at school at 7:30am every day they are taking an AP test. The AP test schedule can be found here: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/cal/cal2.html Actual testing must start promptly at 8am. Please ensure your students are here ontime. They will not receive extra time on a test if they show up late.
3. Financial Aid offers. If you need help interpreting them, please contact your student's mentor. Remember that you do not have to accept the entire aid package, and that oftentimes, financial aid is negotiable. Please do not make final decisions on schools without seeing financial aid offers.
4 All students planning on attending UCs will need to take an English placement test by May 12th. Students will be notified by mail if they need to take this. This is a condition of acceptance. If students score high enough on the AP English Language (11th grade test) or the SAT/ACT, they will be exempt.
5. Wait lists. If a student is waitlisted at a top choice school, they need to "opt in" to the wait list. Colleges will not automatically place you on the wait list. Please follow instructions from the college as to how to do this. Additionally, students should send a letter or email detailing their interest in the school and any other new materials or information a college will accept. Finally, students need to submit a statement of intent to enroll in a school that they were accepted to, in order to ensure their spot in a college.
6. Don't forget about scholarships! There are many scholarships that are due in April.
11th Grade College Information:
AP test forms and money are PAST due! The deadline was March 22nd. All 11th grade students are required to take the AP English Language test and all students in AP Spanish must sign up for that test.
Exito Escolar: 5/7, 2K, Latino students living in the Bay Area who submits a complete application. Applicants are assessed based on the quality of their writing in English and in Spanish, their college list, community service, academic achievement, and letter of recommendation. Notes: Winners must attend an awards ceremony in August. http://www.univision.com and enter Exito Escolar into the search window. Undocumented OK.
Sally Mae Unmet Need: 5/31, $3500, This program is intended to supplement financial aid packages that fall more than $1,000 short of students' financial need. It is open to families with adjusted gross income of less than $30,000.
Sin Barreras: 6/1, 4K, This award is for students of Hispanic heritage who can demonstrate leadership and commitment to community service. Undocumented OK.